Wichita Community Foundation grants $25,000 for student-led projects
Wichita, Kan. – The Wichita Community Foundation will grant $25,000 to 10 USD 259 high school and middle school student groups as part of WCF’s Next Generation of Philanthropy (NGP) grant competition.
In its third year, NGP teaches students about philanthropy. Students developed an idea for a school project that addressed one of four focus areas: beautification, humanitarianism, inclusion and civic engagement. To apply, students also submitted 30 to 90 second videos demonstrating the need for the project.
“NGP allows for students to be involved in their projects from beginning to end,” said WCF President and CEO Shelly Prichard. “It’s our hope that these initiatives the students create impact the way they think about philanthropy.”
- Chester Lewis Academy - $2,500 to the Woodturning Club for tools to create Freedom Pens for Kansas Honor Flight
- Northeast Magnet High - $2,500 to Student Council, NHS and Arts & Crafts to create identity through indoor art
- North High School - $1,400 to Calmer Minds to buy ukuleles and tools to relieve stress in school
- Coleman Middle School - $2,500 to the Garden Club to create a shaded patio area with tile mural
- South High School - $2,500 to Student Leadership for a clothing/hygiene drive for students in need
- Marshall Middle School - $2,500 for exercise balls, chair cushions and bands, rocking stools and hammock chairs as flexible seating options
- Wilbur Middle School - $2,500 to Wilbur Task Force for outdoor seating, updated equipment for PE classes, yearbooks for students, equipment for recess and resource room items for calming techniques
- Gordon Parks Academy - $2,500 to KAY Club to install under-desk bike pedals, $2,500 to KAY Club for Buddy Benches
- West High School - $2,000 to the Advanced Business Development Class for student-created indoor murals
- Mayberry Middle School - $1,600 to Panther Ambassadors to partner with Wesley Children’s Hospital to provide toys and entertainment to hospitalized kids